Are you looking to change your hair color? You can dye your dark hair purple. Your hair can look great in any shade of purple, whether pastel balayage, deep and dusty or even a light gray. Gorgeous hair will increase your beauty quotient.
Can dark hair be dyed purple without bleach?
Many brands make hair colors that don’t require bleaching to achieve a great color payoff. To attain perfect purple hair, you must follow the correct coloring methods. Find out how to add purple to your hair in the next section.
How to Get Purple Hair without Bleaching
First, choose the right color for your hair. You have three hair colors to choose from:
- Permanent Hair Colors: These colors contain ammonia which lightens and bleaches hair. This creates a blank canvas that the dye can work on. Ammonia can dry your hair and cause damage to the strands. Pre-bleaching is required for many permanent hair dyes.
- Semi-permanent hair colors: These only penetrate part of the hair. Semi-permanent dyes are less harsh than permanent ones, do not lighten dark hair, and contain little or no ammonia. They don’t last as long because they are less porous. The semi-permanent dye can only be used for 3-6 washes. This is an excellent, less-harmful option if you want to experiment with different shades of purple for dark hair.
- The Demi-permanent Colors for Hair: These colors use an alkaline agent instead of ammonia. A developer is required to help the dye penetrate the hair shafts. They do not lighten natural hair colors, giving them a uniform look. Semi-permanent colors last longer than semi-permanent colors (20 to 28 shampoo washes) and are less damaging.
For dark hair, you can choose from semi-permanent or permanent hair colors. These are some things that you need to color your hair.
For the Color
- You have the option to choose from semi-permanent and demi-permanent colors.
- Hair clips: To part your hair, you will need several.
- Gloves: Disposable gloves can prevent finger staining.
- Cover colored hair with a shower cap or plastic bag
- An old tee will protect your clothes from staining.
- Timer: Any device that allows you to keep track of time.
For the Aftercare
- Conditioner: Select a conditioner for coloring hair.
- Use a heat protector if you are going to heat-style your hair.
All these items should be assembled. Follow the steps in the next section to dye your hair.
How to dye dark hair purple without bleach
- Choose a Shade of Purple: Select a color that matches your skin tone.
- Make sure to wash your hair well before you color it. To avoid stripping natural oils, washing your hair before you color is best. This will reduce the damage.
- Split the Hair: Use the clips to divide your hair into four sections. It is easier to manage the more sections you have. Wear an old t-shirt.
- Mix the Product: Follow the directions on the packaging and combine the color solution according to the specified ratio. If the product is intended for direct application, place it in a bowl.
- Apply it to the Hair Sections: Make sure all strands are covered. You can use small sections to cover your entire head to ensure no hair is left unattended. Multiple mirrors help check the sides of your head.
- After applying the product, you can set the time: Cover the head with a plastic or shower cap. The manufacturer will recommend the time to wait. It takes about 20-30 minutes for the color set.
- Wash the Product: Use regular water to wash off the color. Do not shampoo. Apply a conditioner instead to protect your paint.
- Dry the Hair: Allow your hair to dry naturally. Do not heat your hair immediately. If you have to style it, use a heat protector.
Pro Tips for Coloring Dark Hair Purple without Bleaching
- To prevent allergic reactions, always do a patch test. It will also help you determine how long the product should be kept on to achieve the desired shade.
- Pre-Condition your Hair: It is a good idea to condition your hair before you dye it. This will compensate for any moisture loss.
- Use Color-Protecting Products for Hair: Whether you’re looking for a shampoo, conditioner, or styling gel, invest in a color-safe formula. This will help maintain your color longer.
- Avoid frequent hair washes: You want your color to last as long as possible so avoid washing your hair too often, and don’t swim. Avoid using light-colored towels and clothes, even for just a few days.
- Petroleum jelly to the Skin: To prevent staining, apply petroleum jelly around your neck & ears.
- Avoid the Sun: UV rays can cause your beautiful purple hair to turn yellow. Cover your head when you go outside in the sun.